Monday, May 16, 2011

A little blogging help {blogging 101}

When I started blogging way back in 2008, the blogging world was a lot different.  {here's my personal blog, which I started when my oldest was just a wee little bug}  Blogger itself has changed dramatically over the years, moving towards more customization and user friendly aspects -- well, besides the little hiccup this past week.

I have gotten a few emails about the how-to's of blogging, and while I'm not anywhere close to an expert on the subject, I have utilized many different tools and sites to boost my blogging knowledge.  I thought I would take this week to go over some common questions and share what I've learned, along with some really great resources.

Today you get the basics:

If you don't have a blog, you can get one, for free!  Blogger is super easy to use, and as long as your desired name is open, it's yours!

You can also use WordPress, which has varying levels of costs ($0 - $17 per year) and honestly, I've heard from many many people that WordPress is the best!

I'm just throwing these options out there, so take what I say with a grain of salt!

We'll talk more about blog design this week, but play around a bit!  Blogger now has tons of options to customize without having to know a single drop of html coding.  {website design language}

here is what you'll find under Template Designer



Now, what will you write about?  Why are you blogging?  What is your purpose?  Do you want to make money, network, share your product, or connect with family and friends?  And just who will read it?  All great questions, and ones you'll want to look at when requesting that blog address!

While you think those over, here are some really valuable resources when it comes to the nitty gritty of blogging.


Momcomm

MomComm is seriously one my my latest, and most favorite resources for all things blog.  She offers weekly blog critiques, great tutorials, and hilarious but oh so true commentaries on social media, writing quality content, and motivating you to become the best blogger you can be!

Must reads:
- Comment Vomit
- Six Non Spammy Ways for Bloggers to Engage on Facebook Fan Pages
- How to Improve your Writing (Without Improving you Writing)



Women Online


The SITS girls have been around for a while with an ingenious concept:  a place where bloggers can network and connect, and gain followers and supporters, and readers!  They not only offer a huge gathering of bloggers, but host forums and classes to further "teach" you how to blog, and blog right.  I just took part in their "Think Like a Marketer" Series, and it was so helpful!



I'd love to hear what YOU want to learn! 


How to make buttons, headers, curing writer's block, or making sense of twitter/facebook?  Do share!




oh, and have a great day!!!

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

ShareThis